When my family is away during the day, I usually scrounge the fridge for leftovers… My go-to is easy reheatable food. However today, I was really hungry! We had no leftovers to reheat… so it was time to make an easy yummy lunch. I dusted off my handy dandy food processor and created an easy and filling lunch which will make great leftovers for tomorrow!
Drain a can of chickpeas and reserve the liquid for a later time. I have mentioned saving the liquid for dessert making, and I have yet to post a recipe…geesh!… Okay… I’m committing to posting a dessert with the chickpea water (aquafaba!). It’s going to happen for real this time! Soon… very soon…
There are a few brands of vegan mayo on the market, but our family favorite is Vegenaise. It’s made by the same company that makes the VeganEgg (Follow Your Heart). It is so delish (and yes! We buy the big jar!!!.. Its a better deal.)!
My husband ate a sandwich after work, but he used white bread. He recommends a nice fluffy bread or croissant for this. So, take your pick. This chickpea salad is pretty versatile. Now to find a vegan croissant…
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 1/3 cup apple chopped
- 6 tablespoons vegan may
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- shredded purple cabbage for garnish (optional)
- Drain a can of chickpeas and place it in a food processor.
- Pulse the chickpeas approximately 25 times, until it's mostly ground but there are still a some large pieces.
- Place the ground chickpeas in a bowl and add the chopped celery and shredded carrots.
- Add in the mayo and curry powder and stir.
- Add the chopped apple to the bowl and stir.
- Fold in the green onions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as open-faced or as a regular sandwich.
- If serving as an open-faced sandwich, garnish with purple cabbage and the reserved green onions.