It’s funny how a craving can lead to a new recipe…
After finishing the last bit of avocado, eating avo toast (my fave!), I was still hungry for more… and I’ll tell you, I love my avo toast a certain way when I make it… It’s got to have lemon or lime, salt, pepper, chipotle chili flakes, and Ninja Squirrel Sriracha sauce.
To make the spread:
Blend the chickpeas with a tablespoon of tahini and half a lemon (about 2 tablespoons). YOWCH! Squeezing that lemon for this put me in instant agony due to a scratch from yesterday. Note to self and lemon squeezers out there… use a tight bandage before squeezing citrus!
Yikes! Almost forgot the garlic! Add a clove or two…. since I forgot to add it earlier, I used a garlic press. However, chopped garlic is fine if you put it in with the chickpeas in the beginning of this recipe.
- 1 can chickpeas (rinse and drained)
- 1-3 chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 lemon (juiced about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Pour a half of a can of chickpeas into a food processor. Add lemon juice, tahini, and chopped garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add a chipotle pepper and 2 tablespoons of water to the food processor and blend until smooth (scraping the sides of the food processor to ensure all of the chickpeas are blended).
- Taste for heat. Add 1-2 more peppers to desired hotness. If necesary, add 1 more tablespoon of water for desired smoothness.
- Add the remainder of the chickpeas, and pulse a few times.
- Add chopped onion and red pepper and pulse a few times.
- Add lightly chopped cilantro to the food processor and pulse.